From encouraging us to take long walks, to embracing the simple things in life, our dogs inspire us in different ways every day. Personally, I’m inspired by just how much my dog can sleep.
Moving from the couch, to the bed, to the other bed, to the loveseat, I know my pup is particular about where he lays down to rest. As he should; adult dogs sleep up to 13.5 hours every day!
Between his snoozing streak and my disposition as an overbearing dog mom, I only want the very best for my best friend.
However, I also don’t want to sacrifice my values or my spending habits when it comes to finding a dog bed. Purchasing something sustainable and cost-effective is an important aspect of dog parenthood (though I certainly would get him anything he asked for if he puppy-dog-eyed me long enough).
Besides, if I’m researching and investing in sustainable mattresses, sustainable bed frames, sustainable bedding, sustainable mattress toppers, and sustainable pillows for myself and my human counterparts, why should my dog be any different?
Well, we’ve taken the guesswork out of your dog’s next nap. We’re here with some sustainability facts and recommendations to make your purchase one that you (and your pup) are proud of. Let’s get to dreaming!
By the way, some of the links in this article are affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
What makes a dog bed sustainable?
As lovable as they are, our pets have a high impact on our carbon footprint. While a lot of carbon production from pet care comes from their food (a topic for another day), dogs are also big waste creators.
Whether you’re trying to find the right compostable or eco-friendly poop bags to reduce plastic waste, or sustainable chew toys that you can discard guilt-free after your pup goes into gremlin mode, dog beds are no different.
To shop for a truly eco-friendly dog bed option, you’ll want to consider the following factors:
- Use of recycled materials
- Use of certified fabrics and filler materials
- Non-toxic certifications
- Solutions for recycling or upcycling when a bed has reached the end of its life
Just like human beds, mass manufactured dog beds can be made with toxic chemicals, foams, and fillers, so for the health of your pooch and the planet, you’ll want to ensure that the materials used in your dog’s bed are manufactured with the environment in mind.
Certifications from CertiPUR-US, OEKO-TEX, GOTS, or GOLS are the ones you want your paws on, ensuring sustainable sourcing and non-toxic materials.
Once you have all of this in mind, you’ll be ready to sniff out the perfect fit.
Our favorite eco-friendly dog bed brands
The brands you see listed here sent members of our team a dog bed to review for this article. (Our reviews are always honest. Receiving free products for testing never impacts our writing — and brands don’t get any influence on our editorial process.)
We broke down our reviews based on the bed’s design, packaging, and very official Pup Satisfaction Factor to help you make the best decision for your dog, your wallet — and the planet.
Just like its line of natural latex mattresses, Savvy Rest has created the Savvy Doggy bed to bring pressure-relieving comfort to your home. Made with natural latex and organic cotton, the bed comes in three sizes and two colors (natural and black).
Shoppers can also purchase a waterproof liner to keep the bed cleaner for longer, too. However, the outside layer of the bed is able to be hand-washed and line-dried.
- Formed or shredded natural latex core made with certified textiles
- Organic cotton flannel exterior, made in a GOTS-certified factory
- Custom sizes available for the best possible fit and lifespan for your furry friend
- Design: I love that the bed is very low-profile. The slim design still provided plenty of cushion and comfort, and the waterproof liner is easy to remove and put back on. However, I do wish the liner came in black to match the black bed and keep fur a little less noticeable.
- Packaging: The packaging was very minimal and didn’t come with any excessive frills that would be difficult to recycle.
- Pup Satisfaction: Pepper quickly embraced the Savvy Doggy as her bed and sleeps on it every night! She is about 35 pounds, and I got the medium size. It was a bit bigger than I expected.
→ Shop the Savvy Doggy from Savvy Rest
Pssst... you can get 20% off all Savvy Rest products when you use code GOOD20.
The Bolstered Pet Bed from Nest Bedding is a simple donut-shaped dog bed assembled with breathable canvas cotton and recycled plastic fill, making it the perfect fit for the pups who love to curl up in a ball for their daily snooze — all without toxic chemicals or fillers.
The bed comes in three sizes and is machine washable for all those uh-oh accidents you need to treat right away. Your pup also gets a 30-night trial and a two-year warranty, so even if you have a picky pooch, you can feel good about your purchase.
- Filled with 100% recycled plastic fill
- Made in the USA using certified clean materials
- Design: This dog bed is an easy addition to any home because it’s so versatile. With a clean, white, minimal design, my cream Shiba Inu blends right in and is right at home with the rest of my furnishings.
- Packaging: Nest Bedding shipped the dog bed in a large cardboard box and a simple plastic bag. Although I always wish companies would ditch any plastic packaging, I do appreciate the extra layer to protect such a soft item from any damage in transit and opening.
- Pup Satisfaction: My dog, Mirio, loves this bed. Like, really, truly loves it. We aptly call it his “nest” and have a little squeal every time he cozies up inside (which is indeed multiple times a day). In fact, he has even fallen asleep sitting up in this bed. He is about 33 pounds, and the medium size is the perfect fit for him!
→ Shop the Bolstered Pet Bed from Nest Bedding
Down Dog is not a major retailer like many other brands on this list but rather a social enterprise project by owner Ashley McVey. She makes fun and unique dog beds using recycled textiles, and 100% of the profits are donated to people and pets in need!
All beds are hand-sewn by McVey in her home in Louisiana and are available for purchase on the Down Dog Instagram page. Each month, McVey tallies up her funds and shares with her community exactly how their purchases benefitted people and their pets. Beds are available in a variety of sizes, as well as in a “couch” style or a mat.
McVey sent Kamrin a couch bed to test out, and Megan received a mat for her furry friends!
- Made with 100% recycled textiles
- Handmade and packaged with recycled materials in the USA
- Design: My pup’s sleep mat from Down Dog has a mix of patterned patches that are so fun, and I especially enjoyed the gingham backing fabric! The bran included washing instructions, and I am looking forward to the ease of being able to toss it in the washing machine. Jemma may look sweet and innocent, but she’s been known to get her paws dirty.
- Packaging: My Down Dog bed came in fully recyclable and/or reusable plastic-free packaging.
- Pup Satisfaction: In the time it took for me to unbox and unroll Jemma’s new sleep mat and break down the box it came in, I turned around to find her plopped down and already enjoying a snuggle on it! Needless to say, she loves it.
→ Shop recycled fabric dog beds that give back from Down Dog
Other sustainable and non-toxic pet beds your pup will love
While Good Good Good team members (or their dogs) haven’t gotten a chance to enjoy these beds (yet), we’ve spent time reading reviews, researching claims and certifications, and compiling some other great options for our readers.
Absolutely consider these sustainable and non-toxic dog beds as you’re shopping:
Avocado Green Organic Mattress
Avocado Green Mattress is popular among humans for its wide offerings of mattresses and bedding — but the brand’s dog beds don’t cut corners, either.
Avocado’s Organic Dog Bed is an elevated and eco-friendly choice that brings orthopedic support to your furry family members. Made with a number of certified organic materials, this dog bed is naturally anti-odor, biodegradable, and naturally hypoallergenic and antimicrobial.
The bed comes in four colors and two sizes and has a removable cotton cover that makes it easy to clean.
While the bed is great all on its own, you can also create the full luxurious sleep destination of your doggie’s dreams by adding an organic cotton pillow bolster or an upcycled bed frame.
- Made with 100% GOTS organic certified latex, coconut husk, and cotton
- Optional pillow is made with organic cotton and vegan buckwheat hulls
- No polyurethane foam or chemicals
- PETA approved
→ Shop the Organic Dog Bed from Avocado
For a cute, customizable, and eco-conscious option, Molly Mutt has created an inventive approach to the traditional dog bed: a stuffable bed and a cotton canvas cover. The stuffable bag can be filled with any textiles you no longer use (like old clothes, pillows, blankets, or — heck — even the socks and underwear your dogs were already going to steal).
The cherry on top? With your pre-loved items as the bed’s filling, your pup’s anxiety will be reduced knowing they can find your scent in their safe place.
The bed cover is easy to wash, and water-resistant covers and bolster pillows are also available. Molly Mutt also offers a crib mattress cover, which allows you to take a hard-to-recycle crib mattress and convert it into a dog bed, or a standard bed with a sustainable wool filling.
- By using recycled textiles instead of a polyurethane foam mattress, Molly Mutt stuffable beds produce 85% less CO2 emissions than traditional dog beds
- When checking out at Molly Mutt, you can choose to offset the CO2 emissions from your purchase (and the brand will match that amount, too)
→ Shop Molly Mutt’s stuffable dog bed
Parachute Home’s Canvas Bolster Dog Bed is the perfect extension of the brand’s sustainable home staples. Hear me out: Matching your dog’s bed to your Turkish Cotton Robe is very much the move for the DINKWADs (Dual Income No Kids With A Dog) of the world.
All jokes aside, Parachute makes tons of cozy and earth-conscious goods, and its dog beds are no exception. This bolster-style bed comes in one standard neutral fawn color and three sizes, with a removable insert that allows for easy cleaning.
- Durable and 100% cotton canvas exterior
- Insert made with a polyester microfiber fill in a 100% cotton shell
- Parachute is 100% Climate Neutral-certified (just like us!)
→ Shop Parachute’s Canvas Bolster Dog Bed
Brentwood Home knows your dog deserves style and support. The brand’s most popular dog bed is the bolster-style Runyon Orthopedic Dog Bed (though Brentwood does also offer a flat mattress style, the Griffith Pet Bed). The Runyon is a therapeutic and calming option that’s great for all dogs — but especially older dogs who might have some joint pain.
With four sizes in three colors that’ll fit a teacup pup to a sturdy shepherd, this machine-washable bed uses durable, furniture-grade fabrics for a long and comfortable lifespan.
The beds also include a waterproof liner and replaceable cover (just buy a replacement when you need one!), as well as a 3-year limited warranty and a 30-day trial. Picky and slobbery pups beware: this bed is no match for your antics!
- Made with Greenguard Gold and Climate Neutral-certified textiles and CertiPUR-US certified memory foam
- Free from volatile organic compounds and other harmful chemicals
- Designed using durable fabrics and waterproof technology to last your dog for years to come
→ Shop orthopedic dog beds from Brentwood Home
Organic Mattresses, Inc
Organic Mattresses, Inc (OMI) is an organic mattress brand on a mission to help us sleep better, all while taking care of the planet. Now, I know my dog doesn’t need help sleeping, but a comfy bed sure can’t hurt!
OMI offers three different types of dog beds: A small round bed, a small rectangular bed, and a large rectangular bed. All come with a removable cover in a natural color to fit in just about anywhere and make washing a breeze.
- All beds are made with GOTS certified organic cotton canvas and a sustainably harvested natural rubber interior
- Free from polyurethane foam and harmful chemicals
- Manufacturing adheres to strict energy consumption and fair labor standards
West Paw carries all kinds of dog goodies, from plush toys to food bowls — and of course, its signature Heyday Dog Bed. The Heyday bed has a noticeably soft texture and pillowy sides that might even make us humans jealous for a ground-level nap.
The bed comes in four colors and four sizes, and it’s easily spot-cleaned or machine-washable. However, if things get a little too messy or worn down, you can also purchase a replacement cover for the bed.
- Stuffed with recycled IntelliLoft filler made from recycled plastic bottles
- Certified by OEKO-TEX for no toxic chemicals or materials
→ Shop the Heyday Dog Bed from West Paw
While Orvis is often known for its wide array of outdoors gear and home goods, the brand sure knows how to take care of our pups, too. The ComfortFill-Eco Bolster Dog Bed is a great cozy escape that doesn’t come at the cost of the planet.
The machine-washable bolster bed is an easy design for dogs of all demographics, available in eight colors and four sizes. (You can even add on a custom embroidery if you want to be cute like that).
The bed is also filled with recycled polyester cushioning that prevents clumping and shifting for all the diggers and burrowers out there.
- Filled with a ComfortFill-Eco cushioning made with recycled polyester
- Made with upholstery-grade fabric for durability and longevity
- Orvis commits 5% of its pre-tax profits to protecting nature, advancing canine health and well-being, and supporting the communities in which we operate, and where our associates live.
→ Shop the ComfortFill-Eco Dog Bed from Orvis
If you’re in the market for a luxury dog bed that aligns with your interior decor, Leah Singh’s handcrafted beds might be the fit for you.
Handmade by artisans in India using a traditional weaving technique, these beds are bright and artistic, coming in four geometric patterns via Made Trade. They all come in the same size (27" x 36" x 4) and are machine washable.
- Filled with PlanetFill filler that is made from 100% post-consumer certified-safe recycled plastic bottles
- Cover made with 100% cotton canvas
→ Shop designer dog beds by Leah Singh on Made Trade
Oh, and if you're outfitting your entire bedroom, you might also like our deep-dives on: