Y’all, it’s 2022, and we’re done gifting random trinkets. No more items that collect dust. No more plastic packaging that creates unnecessary waste. The biggest culprit of excessive gifting during the holidays? Stocking stuffers.
While it can be easy to fill your cart with unique items and silly gag gifts to stuff into your loved one’s stockings, they’d probably really love a few eco-friendly products or high-quality gifts, as opposed to lots of little low cost goodies. That’s not to say sustainable gifting can’t be affordable, though!
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best sustainable stocking stuffers to shop this season that’ll wow even the pickiest Scrooge in the family.
To help you shop sustainably regardless of your budget, we’ve broken this article down into the following sections:
- Quick Picks
- Under $15
- Under $30
- Under $60
- Over $100
By the way, some of the products and links in this article are partners and affiliates, which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Everything in this article was independently and honestly written by the Good Good Good team. Thank you!
Your guide to the best sustainable stocking stuffers
Good Good Good’s Top 3 Recommendations
The best stuff for a stocking is anything that can be used up! Consumable gifts can be anything from fair trade chocolates or bars of soap, to a gift certificate for a pottery class, or even audiobook credits. Find something your loved one will truly enjoy and experience.
Need some help getting started?
Sustainable Accessories from Wearwell
Wearwell is an ethical and sustainable clothing and accessory brand that carries products specifically aligned with values of secondhand shopping, size inclusivity, vegan values, and uplifting women- and Black-owned businesses.
While there are a number of items to shop (like vegetable-dyed bandanas and artisan-crafted bags) we personally love the Stella Hoop earrings as a stocking stuffer. Jewelry is always a solid go-to for stockings because of its compact size and thoughtful intention. These cute hoops won’t break the bank and are made ethically and sustainably!
Made by social enterprise Faire Collection, these earrings are part of a mission to invest in artisan communities in Ecuador.
- Made by hand in Ecuador
- Created with ethically sourced Tagua, a vegan alternative to elephant ivory
Tech Accessories from Pela
Pela makes compostable phone cases, smartwatch bands, AirPod cases, and other tech accessories that are stylish and sustainable. Plus, they’re smooth to the touch and keep your expensive tech safe and sound.
Pela sent Good Good Good team member Jessica a phone case and grip to test out! Here’s what she said: “The Pela case and phone grip were exactly what I was looking for! The lavender color was consistent with website photos and I love the texture of the case. The design is very sleek and easy to put on and remove. However, it probably isn't the best option if you're looking for extra screen protection.”
PS: Pela does carry a liquid screen protector, if you’re looking for a little extra safekeeping!
- Made from flax shive and plant-based biopolymer materials
- A percentage of each sale is donated to the Ocean Cleanup and Preservation Initiatives
- The unique Pela production process uses 34% less water, and creates 30% less carbon emissions and 80% less waste compared to plastic phone case companies
$15 and under
RONXS Rechargeable Electric Lighter
If your gift recipient is a big candle fan, this rechargeable lighter is a great alternative to unnecessary fuel-based disposable lighters. This particular lighter is our favorite — and is ideal for bending into a candle vessel.
- Alternative to single-use plastic lighters that end up in landfills every year (95% of the annual 600 million lighters sold to U.S. consumers every year)
- Fully rechargeable and made to last
Check out our full list of rechargeable electric lighters to explore other options, too!
Is there anything more frustrating than furiously taking notes (or doodling) during a meeting and your pen runs out of ink? You toss yet another plastic item into the trash, and off it goes to the landfill.
These pens are here to save the day! Gift these plastic-free (and sometimes refillable) writing utensils to the doodler of your dreams.
- Made from recyclable and biodegradable materials
- Packaged with 100% recyclable materials
Reusable Produce Bags
Make your gift recipient’s next grocery trip a breeze with these handy reusable produce bags.
- A simple alternative to grocery store plastic produce bags
- Made to last and use over and over again
Conscious Step Socks
Conscious Step creates stylish, sustainable, and 100% organic cotton socks that support independent farmers while also giving back to over 17 different nonprofit organizations doing good in the world. Support a cause close to your gift recipient’s heart, and keep their tootsies toasty all at once.
- Conscious Step is part of 1% for the Planet
- Some of their socks give back to rainforests, plant trees, restore oceans, and protect animals
- Every pair of socks is made with GOTS Organic and fair-trade certified cotton, as well as recycled polyester. These socks are also vegan-certified!
Check out our full list of socks that give back to explore other options, too!
Eco-Friendly Photo Prints from Artifact Uprising
Who doesn’t love a good family photo? Artifact Uprising creates photo prints and goods with recycled materials, so you can cherish your favorite memories — and not at the cost of the planet. Great for anyone’s desk, a little collage wall, or to frame around the house!
PS: Artifact Uprising is also a great place to purchase eco-friendly stationery and cards, too!
- Artifact Uprising’s recycled paper contains 100% post-consumer fiber
- All of the electricity used to manufacture the paper is matched with renewable wind-generated electricity
Non-Toxic Wax Melts from Happy Wax
Is there anything better than cozying up on the couch with a good book, a delightful scent wafting from the other side of the room?
While you might be imagining a classic candle, wax melts are a great alternative without the waste of a jar or vessel (and they’re a little lighter to add to a stocking!)
Happy Wax has all sorts of natural fragrances to create the perfect vibe for your gift recipient.
- Made with natural soy wax and essential oils — free of phthalates!
- A great alternative to pesky candle jars that need to be discarded responsibly. Just don’t forget a wax warmer!
If your gift recipient is more of a candle person, you can check out our full list of eco-friendly candles, too!
The Capsule from Cadence
If this stocking belongs to someone who is often on the go or traveling for work, they likely have a big collection of mini travel-size toiletries that just barely get used up.
The Capsule will make their lives easier — and help reduce the waste of plastic. These containers are customizable, magnetic, leak-proof — and TSA-compliant! You can build a whole system, or just add to your loved one’s existing set.
- Made with 20% recycled ocean-bound plastic and 30% excess manufacturing material
- Constructed with BPA-free and non-leaching plastics
- Shipped in recycled packaging
- No more single-use drugstore travel shampoos!
Silicone Food Huggers
We’re all guilty of it: food waste. Help your friends and family keep their refrigerator innards from rotting — starting with those lemons and limes.
- Vegan and made with 100% BPA-free, FDA food-grade silicone
- Easy to toss in the dishwasher and reuse over and over
- Stored in recycled packaging
Plant-Based Dog Poop Bags from Wild One
Does your giftee have a dog? Well, the stinky truth is that there will always be dog ‘doo, and we’ll always need poop bags for that dog ‘doo. You might as well give them some sustainable options!
These Wild One dog poop bags are the real deal.
- Made with a plant-based corn starch blend
- Totally leak-proof, so there’s no double-bagging here!
Check out our full list of eco-friendly dog poop bags to explore other options, too!
This is the quicker-picker-upper your green gift recipient has been dreaming of. Swedish dishcloths are reusable cloths that are super absorbent and quick to dry.
- Made from cellulose and cotton
- Made to be used and reused and can be composted at the end of their lifespan
Fresh Cut Flower Tote from Uncommon Goods
This one is for the Trader Joe’s flower bouquet girlies! Help keep their groceries dry and reduce their plastic waste with this adorable reusable flower tote.
Easy to fold up and bring along to the farmer’s market, this bouquet tote will get folks from the farm and back to the arranging table with no stress.
- A go-to way to reduce single-use plastic
- Made with durable cotton for a long lifespan
We’ll admit our bias on this one: Every month Good Good Good creates a beautiful print newspaper filled with good news. You can join thousands of subscribers who receive positivity on their doorstep — with themed issues like The Animals Edition, The Intersectional Environmentalist Edition, and The Sustainability Edition.
- Printed on recycled paper using soy-based inks
- Certified 100% carbon neutral
- Helps your gift recipient do more good for people and the planet!
$30 and under
Girlfriend Collective Undies
Keep up the holiday tradition of gifting a pair of undies to everyone in the fam! Girlfriend Collective underwear have become an easy hit online, thanks to their well-made quality — and you don’t have to have buyer’s remorse while covering your family’s butts.
- Made with 80% recycled plastic bottles (RPET)
- Recyclable with Girlfriend’s ReGirlfriend program
Organic Boxer Briefs from Pact Apparel
You didn’t think we’d forget about the boxer brief lovers in the crew, right? Pact makes clothing essentials with sustainability and ethics in mind, so your giftee will be comfortable and confident updating their underwear drawer.
- Made with 95% GOTS-certified organic cotton and 5% elastane
- Manufactured in a Fair Trade-certified factory
- Saves 11 gallons of water by using organic cotton
- This product’s carbon offset is 4.4 pounds
Books are the gift that keeps on giving! Knowledge is never in short supply and can be enjoyed and shared for years to come.
We’ve got some great 2022 book recommendations to get you started, too.
Consider shopping at a secondhand bookstore, or supporting any of these retailers:
→ Buy our favorite books from Amazon (but definitely consider our Audible alternatives and Amazon alternatives, too)
→ Buy our favorite books from Bookshop.org
→ Buy our favorite audiobooks from Libro.fm
Dropps Revitalizing Mist
While we’re already big fans of the Dropps line of compostable plant-based laundry detergent pods, the brand also makes delightful room sprays.
Help your gift recipient freshen up their space with a four-pack of Revitalizing Mists, including Clean and Crisp, Forest Air, Lavender Chamomile, and Lemon Verbena scents.
- Plant-based ingredients
- Recyclable glass bottle
Baggu Reusable Cloth Set
So, the Trader Joe’s flower bouquet girlies and the Baggu girlies are probably the same girlies, so we’ve got another item ready to go in their stockings this season!
Besides its hip reusable bags and accessories, Baggu carries reusable fabric cloth sets made with fan favorite patterned fabrics. Perfect to have on hand for a quick cleanse, to package up a pear for a picnic, or even as a classic hankie, these fancy fabrics are made for everyone.
- Made with 100% cotton
- Reusable and easy to wash for a long and multi-use lifespan
Save the turtles… but make it fashion. Give everyone in your crew some new glass straws this season. Lots of colors, sizes and shapes to choose from, everyone can sip their iced lattes or boba orders in peace.
- Long-term alternative to single-use plastic straws
- Durable and dishwasher-safe for a long lifespan
Reusable Utensil Kit
Similarly to glass straws, it’s an eco-friendly necessity to have a reusable utensil kit on hand! Help everyone bring their lunch on the go with these bamboo utensils (which include a fork, knife, spoon, chopsticks, a straw and cleaning brush in one convenient holder).
- Made with heat and stain-resistant bamboo and food-safe wood oil
- Durable, convenient, and washable for a long life cycle
Bamboo Coasters from Poketo
Poketo is known for its adorable, colorful lifestyle products, and we’re on the bandwagon. A well-designed and eco-friendly option to stuff those stockings, Poketo’s bamboo coasters are beautiful and biodegradable.
- Made with certified organic bamboo fiber and cornstarch
- 100% biodegradable and free of melamine or plastic
- Easy to wash in the dishwasher to reuse and enjoy
Don’t take our word for it, but we assume that 10 out of 10 doctors recommend we all find a sustainable way to brush our teeth.
An easy way to get the whole family started? This four-pack of bamboo brushes.
- Made with plant-based materials
- Helps reduce the 1 billion plastic toothbrushes thrown out every year in the U.S.
Bee’s Wrap Roll
Bee’s Wrap is a reusable food wrap that can be used again and again for all those lunchbox meals, bodega bites, and more.
By purchasing a roll of Bee’s Wrap instead of a specific wrap or bag style, you give your gift recipient the freedom to cut and shape their wraps in whatever ways they need! Or buy a whole roll and cut several pieces to fill several stockings!
- Made with a blend of organic cotton, beeswax, plant oil, and tree resin
- Bee’s Wrap is a certified B Corp and a member of 1% for the Planet
Ethical Coffee Beans
The coffee connoisseurs on your to-gift list need some love, too! Give the gift of ethically (and sustainably) sourced coffee beans this year. While some coffee roasters are certified as Fair Trade, the process can be expensive and inaccessible, so just be sure to confirm that the company you’re shopping from is transparent about its labor and sourcing practices!
Coffee sold through Fair Trade brands or brands with high labor standards is often priced higher than the commodity price of coffee to help pay coffee growers and producers a better wage.
While it might be a little more expensive than a direct trade brand, we’re sure your gift recipient will be thrilled by the intention behind this gift.
- Ethical coffee brands practice environmental stewardship
- Supports a better life for farming families and laborers
We recommend starting with brands like these:
Carter Everywhere Mug
Now that we’ve got the coffee taken care of, everyone needs a solid travel mug to rely on!
The Carter Everywhere Mug is specifically made for ideal coffee drinking. Designed to amplify the senses and fit with most manual coffee brewing devices, this makes taking coffee on the go easy and dependable.
- Made with stainless steel, ceramic interior coating, and a BPA-free plastic lid for durability
- The perfect tool to decrease that collection of single-use Starbucks cups
For Days Take Back Bag
We all have that friend who loves a good closet clean-out. Help them do good with their garments by gifting them a Take Back Bag from For Days.
For Days accepts your pre-loved clothes and gives you $20 in Closet Cash toward your next purchase in the brand’s online shop. Encourage your loved ones to toss in all textiles; including socks, underwear, sheets, pillowcases, towels, linens, shoes, and handbags. Even ripped, torn, and stained oldies will be recycled and diverted from landfills.
Once you buy (or gift!) the Take Back Bag, you can just scan the For Days QR code for your shipping instructions and mailing label, and the circular fashion cycle continues.
- Take Bag Bags are polymailers made with 100% recycled content and fit up to 15 pounds of textiles, all to be recycled upon receipt
- Ensures that old clothes never end up in a landfill
- Helps organize a closet and put new, well-made, sustainable items into your loved one’s wardrobe
Washable Cotton Facial Pads
We all create a lot of waste in the bathroom (come on, get your head out of the gutter), so let’s try and make that garbage pail a little lighter!
Help your loved ones switch from makeup wipes to some reusable cotton facial rounds. These bad boys are super soft and easy to toss in the washer with all the other linens and towels.
- Made with 100% cotton fabrics
- A set of 20 cloths will last about two weeks before needing a wash
Klean Kanteen Insulated Canister
Soup squad, it’s your time to shine! Grab a Klean Kanteen insulated canister for the folks in your life who need a high-quality thermos.
These have a Climate-Lock with vacuum insulation that keeps contents hot for 5 hours and cold for 20 hours. Dishwasher-safe and easily stackable, this is a great, durable addition to the pantry.
- Made with food-grade stainless steel for durability
- Backed by Klean Kanteen’s Strong as Steel guarantee (sustainability means investing in items that last!)
- Klean Kanteen is a certified B Corp
Good Clean Love Massage Oil
For your honey, give the gift of a much-needed massage. Stock up on the Origins Love Oil from Good Clean Love — it enhances the pleasures of touch and aroma with exotic natural aphrodisiac fragrances.
- Made with therapeutic-grade essential oils and no synthetic fragrances, parabens, or hormone disruptors
- 100% natural, vegan, cruelty-free, and edible
- Good Clean Love is a certified B Corp
$60 and under
Virtual Gift Cards
Perhaps the most universal holiday gifting option is to snag a few $50 gift cards for everyone on your list. But if you go that route, keep it digital this year and kiss those unnecessary plastic cards goodbye!
- No more single-use plastic gift cards
- A classic consumable gift that won’t go to waste
Get Grandma some high-quality, high-fashion slippers this year. Parachute’s cozy cushioned slippers have plush terry fabric and ribbed rubber soles for a soft and breathable moment of luxury to depend on. They also come in a number of stylish colors!
- Oeko-Tex certified — these slippers have passed strict testing and are free from harmful substances that are dangerous to people and the planet
- Parachute is Climate Neutral-certified and works on climate offset projects around the globe
Reusable Silicone Bags from Stasher
It’s time to part ways with those unreliable and wasteful plastic Ziplocs. Grab a pack of reusable silicone bags from Stasher and distribute them among the whole family (or keep them all to yourself — we won’t tell!)
- One Stasher bag replaces 260 single-use plastic bags every year
- Made with the patented Pinch-Loc® seal and food-grade platinum silicone, these are the gold standard for reusable bags and are extremely durable
- Stasher is part of 1% for the Planet
Tentree Wool Kurt Beanie
Cold ears, be gone! Help keep your loved ones warm this winter with a responsibly-made wool beanie from Tentree.
- Made from a comfortable blend of responsibly sourced wool and recycled polyester
- Tentree is a certified B Corp- and Climate Neutral-certified
Cork Wallet from Corkor
Help protect your loved one’s precious items with a new vegan wallet. This Corkor billfold wallet has a minimalist design that protects cards with RFID-blocking technology.
- Approved animal-free by PETA
- Made with cork fabric from a sustainably managed cork oak forest
Personalized Minted Stationery Made from Recycled Paper
A personal touch goes a long way when it comes to presents. Minted uses FSC-certified recycled paper with designs by independent artists to offer a wide range of personalizable stationery for all those business and personal letter-writing needs.
- Recycled paper options made with 100% post-consumer waste in a factory using wind power
- 100% recyclable packaging made from over 80% recycled waste or plant-based materials
Check out our full list of eco-friendly stationery brands to explore other options, too!
Washable “paper” towels are the future of kitchen spills! Here’s another great swap for single-use items.
- Made with 100% organic cotton
- Easily machine washable to use again and again
LARQ Filtered Water Bottle
Now, normally we would tell you to stray away from yet another reusable water bottle (some of us already have excessive Emotional Support Water Bottle collections — and by “some of us” I mean me), but this one is special.
LARQ’s filtered water bottle is saving us from the despair of the tap. With a fancy portable water filtration system, this bottle improves taste and removes any lead, heavy metals, chlorine, and particulates from tap water. If your gift recipient loves to be sustainable but hates the taste of their tap water, this is the way to go.
- One LARQ filter can filter up to 40 gallons of water (or 2 months of use). These equals about 300 single-use plastic bottles.
- Cleaner water keeps both people and the planet happy and healthy
Room Service Sateen Pillowcases from Pact
Provide your gift recipient with guilt-free rest. A two-pack of sateen pillowcases from Pact will transport them to a luxury hotel in no time.
- Made with 100% pure organic cotton sateen
- Includes a reusable laundry bag
- Manufactured in a Fair Trade-certified factory
- Saves 86 gallons of water in production
- This product’s carbon offset is 18 pounds
$100 and more
A one-of-a-kind watch with minimalist features and a unique design will have the clock-watchers in your life feeling timeless. Plus, Solgaard has tons of impressive climate initiatives to back up its eco-savvy products.
- Each purchase from Solgaard saves five pounds of plastic from the ocean
- Made from “SHORE-PLAST” plastic that would otherwise end up in our oceans, a naturally biodegradable silicone strap, and mineral glass
Check out our full list of eco-friendly watches to explore other options, too!
A Donation To A Climate Justice Organization
Swap a bunch of little stocking fillers for one big action: a donation to a climate justice nonprofit doing the work on the ground to save our planet.
Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
Note: While we normally recommend shopping from independent marketplaces with ethical and sustainable track records instead of shopping with Amazon — we’ve also included Amazon links in this article to ensure that these gifts are accessible to more people. Consider Amazon alternatives when you can.