The following article contains information that may not be suitable for readers under the age of 18. Discretion is advised.
There are so many ways to feel pleasure, though it’s important to remember that intimacy and closeness don’t always have to mean sex.
To build a true wellness routine, we have to think about all aspects of what helps us experience pleasure: Our environment, the smells, the physical feeling of comfort and safety.
Sometimes, those aspects are improved by various products or tools to help you tap into pleasure, stress relief, and overall good vibes.
While the most sustainable sex and intimacy items are the ones you already have, if you’re in the market for some new items, we’ve got recommendations for you.
Sections in this guide:
- Sex Toys
And although it’s not part of our eco-friendly products roundup, if you’re trying to find some ethical porn to explore, we have a guide for that, too!
Some of these links may lead to mature content. Additionally, consult your doctor if you have any allergies or issues with products.
By the way, some of the links in this article are from our partners and affiliates, which means we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Everything in this article was independently and honestly written by the Good Good Good team. Thank you for your support!
The Ultimate Guide to Eco-Friendly Sex & Intimacy
Many sex toy companies don’t put sustainability at the forefront. Luckily, there are many that are changing the game.
We’re interested in brands and companies that are mindful of the longevity of their items, have ethical business practices, use body-safe materials such as latex- and phthalate-free, medical-safe silicone, and are often certified or tested by organizations like the B Corp, FDA, REACH, or RoHS.
vibe from maude
- Maude uses locally manufactured shipping cartons with 7% pre-consumer recycled content & 39% post-consumer recycled content with a total recycled content of 46%.
- The vibe is made from Phthalate- and latex-free, soft-touch, 100% platinum-grade silicone (which is REACH passed and FDA grade).
- The vibe’s carrying case is made from entirely compostable, 100% OEKO-TEX® certified fabric.
→ Shop the vibe from maude
Cassia from The Natural Love Company
- The Cassia is made from recycled ocean plastics.
- The Natural Love Company plants a tree for each purchase and another for every review the brand receives. (It’s also part of 1% for the Planet!)
- Powered by renewable energy, the brand has carbon-negative delivery worldwide, and its packaging is free of single-use materials.
Meile from Lovehoney x Love Not War
- Love Not War won a Green Product Award for its products and has a custom-built factory that is powered by green energy, though the brand hopes to one day reach carbon-zero manufacturing.
- The motor pack in the base of the Meile is made with a plastic that is biodegradable, and the brand’s logo is engraved onto the toy with a laser, so there is no ink or chemicals used.
- The rechargeable batteries are compatible with all Love Not War vibe heads and all shipping materials are recyclable.
When looking for a sustainable lube, we’re looking at the product ingredients, brand ethics, and overall quality for long-lasting use. We want to know that the ingredients in these lubes aren’t going to mess up pH balances, break down sex toys, and want to ensure that they are safe for vaginal, oral, or anal use.
Are there parabens? Glycerin? The most eco-friendly lubes don’t — and we’ve found them.
Note: Check ingredients for anything you may be allergic to and know that some lubes can contain fragrances of flavors that may not be compatible with all sexual activity.
shine from maude
- Maude’s lube is 100% natural aloe-based lubricant that is free from glycerin and parabens and can be used with toys.
- The brand uses locally manufactured shipping cartons with 7% pre-consumer recycled content and 39% post-consumer recycled content with a total recycled content of 46%.
- Maude also uses curbside recyclable glass and plastic and is currently working toward post-consumer options.
Aloe Lube from Dame
- Dame’s aloe-based lubricant is made with organic plant-extracts.
- The Aloe Lube comes in recyclable packaging.
→ Shop Aloe Lube from Dame
HALLELUBEYAH by Lovability
- Lovability partners with organizations that care about the earth such as 1% for the Planet and Women’s Voices for the Earth.
- The bottle is fully recyclable.
→ Shop HALLELUBEYAH from Lovability
When you need a little clean-up after sex or even after your period, a great solution can be personal wipes (some may call them vaginal wipes or vulva wipes, but they can be used by anyone).
First, know that you don’t need wipes to keep your vagina clean (your body does that for you), but if you ever find yourself in a… sticky situation, they are nice to have.
We looked for wipes that are fragrance-free, toxin-free, made with materials that will break down (biodegradable and/or compostable) so they make less impact on the earth.
wipe from maude
- Wipe is a fully biodegradable and compostable product.
- Wipe is hypoallergenic and manufactured utilizing fragrance-free 100% OEKO-TEX® Certified Viscose Rayon.
→ Shop after sex wipes from maude
Biodegradable Wipes from Flex
- Flex Wipes are plant-based and biodegradable when flushed.
- Flex reduces waste by 60% compared to traditional period products and are ethically sourced and repurposed when possible.
- The brand’s production facilities are close to its warehouses, which reduces energy usage and emissions that come from transit.
Quickies from Lovability
- Quickies are flushable, compostable, and come in secondary packaging made from 100% recycled paper.
- Quickies are free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, fragrances, perfumes, alcohol, and glycerin, meaning they are safe for both the body and the planet.
- They're not made with animal byproducts, nor tested on animals. They're also non-GMO.
→ Shop Quickies by Lovability
Condoms are typically made from ingredients such as lambskin, latex, or other synthetic materials such as resin and polyisoprene. They can also include parabens, spermicide, glycerin, or casein.
Many popular condom brands have one or many of these ingredients in them, so we found ones that do not contain any harmful ingredients, are made from fair-trade latex, and come from companies that are mindful of their environmental footprint while maintaining the protection you want and need.
Note: Check ingredients for anything you may be allergic to and know that some condoms contain latex.
Rise condoms from maude
- maude’s ultra-thin condoms are made without harmful chemicals, do not contain spermicide and are fragrance-free and are made from 100% natural latex.
- Most of maude’s packaging is 100% recyclable (made from pre- and post-consumer recycled content) with standard curbside recycling programs or designated recycling facilities.
→ Shop rise condoms from maude
Ultra Thin Condoms from Glyde
- Certifications include The Vegan Society, PETA's Caring Consumer Program, and the Green Business Network.
- Glyde is a certified ethical, vegan and fair trade condom made in worker-owned factories that use non-GMO fair trade natural rubber.
- Glyde condoms are free of risky chemicals, casein, talc, parabens and spermicide.
Ultra Thin Condoms from Sustain Natural
- The latex in Sustain condoms is sourced from the only Fair Rubber certified plantation in the world that makes latex for condoms. These materials are also FSC certified — which verifies that the forest is managed with high environmental and social standards.
- Sustain Natural is a certified B Corp.
Slow and sustainable fashion has fortunately gained popularity, as we collectively begin to realize fast fashion is harming the planet. But have you considered the environmental impact of your underwear?
When it comes to lingerie, we’re looking for companies who are mindful of their impact on the earth, create products that last — and still look good. Similarly to other sustainable apparel items, materials — like recycled and recyclable fibers — matter.
Mindful Black Recycled Lace Bustier Set from Lovehoney
- This bustier set is made from recycled, pre-consumer fabrics (GRS certified) that would otherwise end up in landfill.
- Lovehoney’s lingerie comes in a 100% recyclable bag.
- All packaging is plastic-free, sustainable and 100% compostable.
Hi Waist Thong from Mary Young
- Mary Young noticed a lot of Canadian-based companies had moved production out of the country, so the brand produces its items within Canada, using high quality and environmentally safe materials.
- The main fabric Mary Young uses throughout its collection is a rayon of bamboo which is OEKO-TEX certified — meaning the fabric has been tested and is free from any harmful substances.
- All garments are produced in Montreal, Canada, in a factory where safe and ethical conditions are being met.
- All orders are packed by hand and shipped in recycled mailers.
Fruit Punch Printed Bralette from Uye Surana
- Uye Surana’s sustainable printing doesn't waste excess water or dyes, unlike traditional dying processes, which take a heavy toll on our waterways. The brand utilizes technology that allows manufacturers to transfer prints without the use of water and excess dyes.
- The brand’s products are made with durable anti-rip material, so prints are protected against rips and runs. Plus, bralettes and wireless bras are fully-adjustable, so they can be worn for their full lifespan.
- Uye Surana makes its products in small batches, so no style is overproduced.
- Items are shipped in 100% biodegradable or curbside recyclable packaging.
You can’t tell me there’s anything more luxurious than a self-care bath. But what’s a bath without some bubbles, soaks, or salts to get you to your most relaxed state?
We’ve found some eco-friendly bath essentials to get you feeling chill. As always, we’re looking for brands that are transparent about their ingredients and are mindful of what’s in them.
Also, have you looked around your bathroom lately to notice all the plastic bottles around? We’re looking for products that are plastic-free or made from post-consumer recycled plastic.
Hydrating coconut milk bath from maude
- maude’s bath soak is vegan and cruelty-free mixture of coconut milk powder and hand-harvested salts from the Southern Dead Sea, infused with vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, potassium, sulfur, and zinc.
- On top of being curbside recyclable, the glass packaging jars for bath can be repurposed and used as a storage container or planter. (And they really are cute enough to reuse!)
→ Shop the hydrating coconut bath soak from maude
Bath Gem from Prima
- Prima’s products are consciously formulated without harmful materials, such as: synthetic fragrance, mineral oil, PEGs (polyethylene glycols), cyclic silicones, parabens, phthalates, and chemicals of concern.
- Prima partners with Sierra Club and Children & Nature Network to financially support programs that foster just and sustainable futures for all — starting with children who have a passion for environmentalism.
- Prima is EWG (Environmental Working Group) verified, a certified B Corp, Certified Climate Neutral, and Certified Plastic Neutral.
- All Prima products are glyphosate residue-free, meaning that they do not contain the glyphosate, the world’s most common pesticide, linked to severe human and environmental harm. The nonprofit, Detox Project, certifies Prima’s products, as well.
→ Shop Bath Gem from Prima
Bath Set from Lovability
- The Bath Set from Lovability includes a WaterSlyde toy and a Bomb Bath. Each WaterSlyde is recyclable — and the Eco-Ebony version is made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic.
- The Bomb Bath is body-safe, edible, vegan, and cruelty-free and comes in a reusable tin and recyclable packaging.
- Lovability uses packaging made from recycled paper and partners with organizations such as 1% for the Planet and Women’s Voices from the Earth, who are championing efforts towards a healthier planet.
→ Shop Bath Set from Lovability
A sensual massage can help bring us closer to our partners and ourselves. But of course, we want to make sure we’re not rubbing in anything bad for us or the environment!
We’ve found products from companies that are making every part of the self-care process feel good — whether that be giving back to the planet or having clean, ethical ingredients.
Massage oils & candles from maude
- Maude’s candles are made with a 100% cotton, lead-free wick and both the candle and oil are made with cruelty-free ingredients that are paraben- and glycerin- free.
- The containers for the brand’s burn and oil products are curbside recyclable.
ThreePlay Massage Candle from Lovability
- The ThreePlay candle is body-safe, made from natural, eco-friendly ingredients, vegan, and animal-friendly.
- Lovability uses 100% recycled paper packaging and reusable & recyclable containers.
Luce Ayurvedic Body Oil from Basium
- Basium has joined efforts with the Sen Wellness Reforestation Project in Sri Lanka to commit 5% of its revenue to the replanting of mangrove trees on the Rekawa Lagoon.
- The brand’s products are made with 100% organic and natural ingredients that are derived from wild harvested flowers, leaves, stems, wood, roots, seeds, and resins.
- Basium’s blends contain no parabens, additives, artificial fragrances, artificial colors, synthetic chemicals, GMOs, animal testing, mineral oils, PEGs, or silicones.
As much as a candle might smell like it’s good for you, a lot of times, factory-made grocery store or department store candles can be made with harmful products, such as paraffin — or are made with non-reusable containers that end up in landfills.
Fear not! We come to you with some candle recommendations made with natural and organic waxes, like soy wax, beeswax, coconut wax, and rapeseed wax — rather than mass-manufactured candles. Wicks are also important, so look for cotton, hemp, or wooden wicks.
Amber Santal From Grow Candles
- According to Grow, the brand was the first to create a 100% plant-based candle — which ensures your candle is better for the environment and smells better than traditional petro-chemical candles.
- Grow candles come with a white vessel and a separate candle “insert” in a recyclable aluminum container. The vessel will then be infinitely reusable as you continue to use the refillable candle inserts.
- Candles are shipped plastic-free. Grow uses paper-based tape on a cardboard box — and instead of using bubble wrap, the brand wraps each candle in a recyclable corrugated paper packaging for padding.
Candle Set from Arbor Made
- Arbor Made candles come in a reusable candle jar. The containers have a special feature that allows you to pop out your nearly nonexistent candle remnants in one clean motion and replace it with a new wax refill from Arbor Made.
- Reusable jars have a lifetime guarantee, and Arbor Made hopes to be “the last candle you ever buy.”
- Each scent also corresponds with a reputable charity that Arbor Made supports with each order, such as: One Tree Planted, Ocean Conservancy, Pollinator.org, and Clean Air Task Force.
→ Shop Candle Set from Arbor Made
Citrus Candle from La’ F.E.M.
- Each candle is phthalate, paraben, and sulfate-free, as well as free from animal testing.
- Vessels are a high-quality recycled glass that can be reused or repurposed.
- La’ F.E.M. candles are made in small batches by a BIPOC women-owned company, but they’re also sold through Made Trade, which is a Climate Neutral Certified e-commerce platform dedicated to ethically-elevated goods.
Self-care is nothing without sleep. I know I sleep better at night if what I’m cozying up with is also good for the planet.
Sustainable bedding is made with materials that do not contain any toxic chemicals or harm the planet during harvesting. Lots of mass-manufactured bedding is made with conventional cotton and polyester fibers that use lots of pesticides and chemicals.
The bedding we love steers clear of all of that, opting instead for certifiably organic and/or Fair Trade cottons, or other recyclable materials like viscose from bamboo, eucalyptus, and more.
Crinkle Percale Organic Cotton Sheet Set + Pillowcases by Nest Bedding
- Nest Bedding is Fair Trade, FSC, OEKO-TEX, and Ceti-PUR certified.
- The brand makes high-quality bedding that’s made from natural materials that haven’t been treated with health-harming chemicals.
Organic Cotton Quilted Comforter from Pact
- Pact is certified organic, Fair Trade, and carbon neutral, and you can measure the exact impact of every product you buy with Pact’s partnership with SimpliZero.
- On each product page, you will find an overview of how much water is saved with organic materials, how many pounds of carbon offset are measured, and how many people made this product by working in Pact’s Fair Trade factories.
Climate Beneficial Cotton Duvet Insert from Coyuchi
- Coyuchi is certified by GOTS, GOLS, Fair Trade, and Made Safe, also champions climate nonprofits as a partner with 1% for the Planet.
- Coyuchi’s circular model is complete through its 2nd Home recycling program, which encourages shoppers to recycle their textiles through the company — and then purchase products made with those recycled materials.
- Since the start of the 2nd Home program, Coyuchi has diverted over 43,000 pounds of textile waste from landfills.