Shopping for a gift for the man in your life, whether for the holidays, a birthday, or other special occasions can quickly become stressful. Take comfort in the fact that you’re not alone.
With holiday gift purchases reaching up to six billion U.S. dollars in 2020 (and that doesn’t count birthdays and anniversaries!), imagine the level of environmental impact that can be made if we all opted for the more sustainable options on the market.
Don’t worry, though, we’ve rounded up a pretty cool gift guide of thoughtfully-made products to help you narrow down your search.
We’ve also included details on why each gift is sustainable, as well as details about companies producing their products ethically and giving back to nonprofits.
Whether you’re on a tight budget this year or looking for a special investment gift for the guy in your life, you can feel a little more confident about selecting a gift that helps protect people and our planet.
By the way, some of the links in this article are affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Everything in this article was independently and honestly written by the Good Good Good team. Thank you!
To help you shop sustainably regardless of your budget, we’ve broken this article down into the following sections:
- Under $15
- Under $40
- Over $100
Your guide to the best eco-friendly gifts for men
$15 and under
While we’re searching to find the ultimate gift for the man (or men) in our life, maybe the way to his heart (as the old saying goes) is through his stomach.
Enter: Consumable gifts. From plant-based chocolates (like these) to homemade kimchi noodle jars, to a gift certificate for a pottery class, or even audiobook credits, finding something your loved one will truly enjoy and experience is a great gift any time of the year.
RONXS Electric Lighter
Whether the person you’re shopping for can be found lighting up the grill, a campfire, or an ambient candle, they might be turning to disposable plastic lighters, matches, or fuel-powered lighters — we’ve got an alternative, long-lasting, and environmentally-friendly option for them!
The rechargeable RONXS electric lighter is a great budget-friendly lighter that not only has a helpful flexible neck, but it’s also wind and splash-proof, which protects the electric pulse from being blown out by strong wind or wet weather.
- The lighter’s torch uses clean, butane-free ignition and is rechargeable through a USB battery
- Packaged with recycled paper.
- Made out of aluminum
Check out our full list of the best electric lighters to explore other options, too!
Recycled Pocket Sketchbook
If you’re on the hunt for the most meaningful gift for the artist in your life, consider purchasing a sketchbook and adding a personal handwritten note inside the cover.
The Pentalic recycled pocket sketchbook is designed for the artist on the go. Its flexible, water-resistant cover with heavy-duty sewn binding contains 160 pages of acid-free, recycled paper that’s perfect for sketching, notes, and fieldwork. It also includes an elastic enclosure, ribbon marker, and back page pocket.
- Recycled paper
Organic Coffee Beans from Larry’s Coffee
To satisfy the coffee snob in your life, Larry's Coffee is a great option that combines its love of coffee with the belief that business can be a force for good.
Based in Raleigh, North Carolina, Larry's is a certified B-Corporation and a founding member of Cooperative Coffees, a group of independent coffee roasters that work with small-scale farmers to import high-quality, organic coffee and foster fair and equitable trading practices.
- B Corp-certified
- All the beans are 100% organic, Fair Trade, & shade grown.
- Use natural daylight to power its facility
- Harvest rainwater in four tanks that hold a total of 2,500 gallons that are collected and used to run bathrooms and water gardens
- Use solar panels on the roof to heat water that heats floors in the winter
- To help propagate pollinators, Larry’s turns old whiskey barrels (used to age coffee beans) into bee hives
Circular & Co. Reusable Travel Mug
While we’re on the topic of coffee, we all need a sustainable, zero-waste way to drink it, no?
Circular & Co’s reusable travel mug is made of recycled paper cups (six to be exact!), is 100% leak-proof, has an easy push-and-click top for one-handed opening, is fully insulated, and is dishwasher safe. Plus, it’s just a really cool-looking mug with a story behind it!
- Made from six recycled paper cups, which would otherwise end up in landfills
- 100% recyclable at the end of life
- Free from harmful chemicals (BPA & melamine free)
Dr. Squatch Cold Brew Cleanse Bar Soap
We don’t have time for big brands that use toxic chemicals. Instead, treat the loved ones in your life to natural, high-performance personal care products that are actually good for them.
Dr. Squatch’s Cold Brew Cleanse bar (one of many delicious options to choose from) is made with a blend of shea butter, salt, kaolin clay, and coffee beans from Fire Dept. Coffee — a coffee roaster run by firefighters that donates a portion of its proceeds to provide support for ill or injured firefighters and first responders.
- Products are 98-100% natural and never use harsh chemicals or synthetics like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, or silicones
- Plastic-free packaging
- All personal care products are made in the U.S. The company has pledged to keep all production within the U.S. to ensure the quality of products and a fair work environment
Check out our full list of the best sustainable home products to explore other ideas, too!
Conscious Step Socks
Conscious Step creates stylish, sustainable, and cause-centered vegan, GOTS Organic, and Fair Trade-certified socks. Every pair gives back to a dedicated nonprofit organization that plants trees, conserves rainforests, restores oceans, or dozens of other important causes.
- 1% for the Planet member
- GOTS Organic, Vegan, and Fair Trade certified
- Every pair purchased gives back to a partnering nonprofit organization
Check out our favorite sock brands that give back to explore other options, too!
We’re not trying to be biased here, but every month, our team of optimists, journalists, and artists makes a beautiful print newspaper filled with good news that we feel would bring a ton of hope and inspiration to your loved one.
- Every issue is printed on recycled paper using soy-based inks
- We’ve minimized our packaging to reduce waste
- Proud to be certified 100% carbon neutral as a company — thanks to Climate Neutral.
- We’re also members of 1% for the Planet, which means we donate 1% of all Goodnewspaper revenue to environmental nonprofits
Cotopaxi Hip Pack
We think we’ve found the solution to overly stuffed pockets and “can I toss this in your purse” moments: Buying a fun hip pack!
Cotopaxi is an outdoor gear brand with a mission to create functional products that lift and empower communities around the world. Its Del Día hip packs collection uses scrap fabric from excess production, significantly reducing waste that would have otherwise ended up in landfills. Each bag is one-of-a-kind, comes in various fun colorways, and is made of durable, lightweight, 100% repurposed fabric.
- B Corp- and Climate Neutral-certified
- 1% of the Planet member, meaning the company dedicates a portion of its profits to organizations helping make our world a better place.
- Empower communities in the Americas by focusing on healthcare, education, and livelihoods through its Cotopaxi Foundation
- Ethical manufacturing practices
If the person you’re shopping for cares about their personal hygiene and the planet, consider surprising them with a sustainable razor.
Bambaw’s double-edged safety razors are designed to last a lifetime, are made from high-quality materials, have a 100% bamboo handle, and stainless-steel parts. The company even provides a user manual to help increase the lifespan of the blades, responsible recycling practices, and bonus homemade shaving recipes.
- Less waste than disposable plastic razors
- Plastic-free packaging
- Bambaw funds research and has partnerships with 5gyres and the Plastic Soup Foundation, advocacy groups helping address climate change
Rechargeable Tactical LED Flashlight
No other gift can be as handy as a tactical flashlight. From busting it out during an unexpected power outage, having it handy in your car for emergencies, or toting it along during your next camping trip, flashlights (especially rechargeable ones) are a great sustainable gift.
The DanByte rechargeable flashlight is waterproof, includes a magnetic base, and can switch between seven light modes. Plus, it comes in a pack of two!
- Made of aluminum, an infinitely recyclable material
- Rechargeable USB battery
- LED light
P.F. Candle Co. Candles
Is there anything better than sinking yourself into your couch, opening a good book, and lighting a scented candle?
P.F. Candle Co. products are developed, produced, tested, and packed in Los Angeles, CA (we love to see a low-carbon supply chain). It also uses sustainable and eco-friendly ingredients to provide a safe burn.
- Made with 100% domestically-grown soy wax
- Vegan, cruelty-free, and phthalate-free
- Packaged in plastic-free corrugated bubble wrap and a simple cardboard box
Need more candle recommendations? Check out our full list of the best eco-friendly candles to explore other options, too!
Speaking of curling up on your couch with a lovely scented candle and a book…
Books are the ultimate gift that keeps on giving. A good book can even inspire the bookworm in your life to create positive change! We’ve got some great book recommendations to get you started.
But before you get to shopping, consider going to a secondhand bookstore, or supporting any of these retailers:
→ Buy our favorite books from Amazon (but definitely consider our Audible alternatives and Amazon alternatives, too)
→ Buy our favorite books from Bookshop.org
→ Buy our favorite audiobooks from Libro.fm
Full Circle Kind Organic Cotton Plant-Dyed Apron
The resident baker or cook in your life deserves to serve looks in the kitchen.
Full Circle’s Kind Organic Cotton Plant-Dyed apron is made with 100% organic cotton and colored with plant-based dyes. It's designed to be durable, functional, and eco-friendly while (of course) making the cook look damn good in it.
Plus, you can feel good knowing that Full Circle is a Certified B Corp – raising the bar for social and environmental accountability.
- B Corp-certified
- Use low-impact, plant-based dyes, and inks
- Organic terry cotton
- Ships in packaging made from recycled content
United By Blue Men’s Boxer Briefs
Let’s keep the holiday underwear gifting tradition alive — but make it sustainable!
United By Blue is an outdoor clothing brand obsessed with trash — particularly its negative impacts on our environment. For every product purchased, a pound of trash is removed from oceans and waterways. Its boxer briefs are made with GOTS-certified organic cotton and come in a handy pack of two. The simple design has no logos or frills and a tag-free elastic waistband.
- B Corp and Climate Neutral-certified
- To date, the brand has cleaned up 4.1 million pounds of trash (check out its popular community clean-up events!)
- Made of GOTS organic cotton
- Made responsibly in Turkey
Eco Sports Vegan Leather Basketball
In an effort to provide the sporting goods world with a non-animal product, Eco Sports uses a biodegradable, recyclable, vegan material called TPU. The company makes basketballs, footballs, soccer balls, and volleyballs for players of all ages. It even donates 10% of the profits to plant trees across the U.S.
- Produced entirely of eco-friendly and vegan material
- Made from a chemical-free material that is non-toxic for the planet, the ball maker, and the user
- Long-lasting and durable
- Uses recyclable, plastic-free packaging for its products
- Donates 10% of its profits to plant trees across the U.S.
$60 to $95
Tech Accessories from Pela
Pela makes compostable phone cases, smartwatch bands, AirPod cases, and other tech accessories that are stylish and sustainable. Not to mention the fact that they’re smooth to the touch and keep your expensive tech safe and sound.
- Made from flax shive and plant-based biopolymer materials
- A percentage of each sale is donated to the Ocean Cleanup and Preservation Initiatives
- The unique Pela production process uses 34% less water and creates 30% fewer carbon emissions and 80% less waste compared to plastic phone case companies
Sure, it’s great to add to someone’s ever-growing mug collection, but not all mugs are created mindfully. Ceramic mugs are derived directly from the earth and made into clay. When done, not only do they serve as practical (and artistic) household items, but when they are no longer needed, they can be broken back down into their original state.
Small batch producers like Gutten Co., Grey Remedy, and countless creators on Etsy are producing one-of-a-kind pieces for people who seek to ditch their single-use plastic cups for more long-lasting (and pleasing to the eyes) statement pieces.
- Fewer resources are typically used to create small-batch products
- Made of eco-friendly materials
- Alternative to single-use plastic
Baabuk’s Felted Wool Slippers
Wool slippers are moisture-wicking, odor-resistant, and warm — perfect for the homebody in your life who would much rather be curled up on the couch watching the latest episode of the Great British Bake Off!
- Certified B Corp
- Wool sourced responsibly from New Zealand farms
- Ethical manufacturing in Nepal, providing above 25% higher salary than national average
- Wool is a long-lasting and easily renewable resource that doesn’t harm sheep
Hathorway Hair and Beard Comb
Looking for personal hair-care products for the bearded man in your life?
Hathorway’s pocket-sized combs — designed to be the size of a credit card — are convenient gifts that can be used and carried around anywhere.
Horn combs, like Hathorway's, are gentler on the hair, scalp, and face and absorb natural oils, which prevents static electricity and hair breakage.
- Made from ethically-sourced buffalo horns
- 10% of all Hathorway’s profits go to initiatives that empower young, underprivileged women
- Women-owned brand providing fair wages and safe working environments for its employees
Newly Spanish Wine Glasses
Help your loved one elevate their wine nights by adding this beautiful set of handmade stemless wine glasses from Newly — a certified B Corp that makes gorgeous home goods from 100% recycled or repurposed materials.
- 100% recycled glass
- 100% recycled packaging
- Small-batch manufacturing
- B Corp-certified
- This product's environmental impact (such as its carbon emissions and energy consumption) is transparently displayed on the product page
Check out our full list of the best recycled glassware brands to explore other options, too!
CARIUMA Canvas Shoes
Truly, the answer to sustainability is buying quality over quantity. Seeking out companies that put attention to the entire production process is a great way to ensure that your gift will last for years to come.
CARIUMA’s canvas shoes are an example of a great staple piece to add to any closet. In addition to responsibly sourcing materials and designing timeless silhouettes, CARIUMA also maintains ethical factories — ensuring that every worker is fairly paid for the work that they’re doing.
- B Corp-certified
- For every pair purchased, two trees are planted in the Brazilian rainforest
- Soles made from natural rubber ethically gathered from the Hevea brasiliensis tree (or commonly known as the rubber tree)
- GOTS-certified cotton, grown without harmful pesticides and chemicals
- Lining, laces, threads, and labels are made from recycled plastic water bottles
- 100% vegan insole
- Recyclable packaging material
$100 and more
Oakywood Laptop Stand
With the rise of remote work — especially within the last few years — chances are the person you’re shopping for has, at one time or another, browsed the internet for laptop stands as a solution to reduce eye and neck strain.
Oakywood is a small-batch woodworking workshop based out of Poland. Its wooden laptop stand is beautifully handcrafted with solid wood and steel by woodworking professionals. For every item purchased, a tree is planted.
- Wood used to create its products is sustainably sourced in Europe and the U.S.
- Oakywood products are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified, a third-party certification that ensures its products come from responsibly managed forests that provide environmental, social, and economic benefits
- For every purchase, one tree is planted
The Crafter’s Box
Similar to the consumable gifts we mentioned at the beginning of this guide, sometimes the most valuable gifts are the ones that challenge us to be creative.
The Crafter’s Box is a fun gift idea for the creative in your life that enjoys a good craft project. The company’s mission is to deliver a joyful crafting experience by providing all the tools, materials, and expert instruction needed to create artisan-level projects. It offers two options for shopping: the subscription craft box and an a la carte marketplace.
It supports artists and makers through its curated marketplace, workshops, and bundles — while also making an effort to source project material from small businesses with sustainable practices.
- The Crafter’s Box supports small businesses and creators
- Offers a variety of organic, sustainably sourced materials and classes such as its Organic Hand Dyed Linen Yarn, Organic Weaving Workshop, and more
Check out our favorite subscriptions that give back to explore other options, too!
If you’re going to buy sunglasses for the man in your life, consider environmentally-conscious brands that center people and our planet above profit — yes, there are brands out there that do that!
WearPanda Sunglasses, for example, produces sunglasses made out of bamboo — one of the fastest-growing plants on the planet that requires less water and zero chemical fertilizers for it to grow. Its sunglasses are lightweight, yet “stronger than steel,” 100% polarized, and contain UVA/UVB protection.
- 1% for the Planet member
- FSC certified
- All sales benefit Optometry Giving Sight, which has helped screen nearly 4 million people, deliver more than 27,000 pairs of glasses, and support 16 optical labs and 116 optometry students in 39 countries
- Supported 12 microloans in 10 countries through Kiva
- Help Washington’s National Park Fund to protect and nurture some of the most beautiful forests in the Pacific Northwest
- Made of bamboo, an eco-friendly, low-impact renewable resource
Check out our full guide on the best gifts for national park lovers to explore other options, too!
Shirt from Toad&Co
What’s a gift guide without a clothing suggestion?
Toad&Co is a sustainable apparel company that uses renewable energy in its supply chain to reduce its climate impact. Its reversible flannel shirt is a great option for someone who tends to opt for more effortless looks. With flannel on one side and stripes on the other, this is the gift that keeps on giving.
- Member of 1% for the Planet
- Made of organic cotton and recycled fibers
- Sustainable packaging, which includes 100% recycled paper packaging or “Reusable Shipper” option
- Its use of eco-friendly materials limits the number of chemicals, water, and wastewater used in production
Solgaard Carry-On Closet Suitcase
This is just us manifesting a future filled with fun weekend getaway trips for your loved one. Meet the award-winning Carry-On Closet suitcase by Solgaard, a company that uses ocean-bound plastic to make modern and practical suitcases to satisfy the avid traveler. (We’ve recommended their watches as one of our favorite eco-friendly watches.)
This carry-on luggage has a built-in shelving system to keep everything nice and organized, a USB charging port, and an indestructible shell.
- Climate Neutral-certified
- 100% of products are made with sustainable materials like ocean-bound plastic and recycled aluminum
- For every item sold, 229 plastic bottles are saved from entering the ocean
- Solgaard has partnered with organizations in The Philippines, Indonesia, and China that work with local teams in creating jobs for communities to collect ocean-bound plastic that can be upcycled. So far, these partnering organizations have collected over 45 million plastic bottles
Rothy’s Minimalist Wallet
Could someone in your life update their wallet to something more earth-friendly?
Rothy’s slim, flexible bi-fold wallet keeps clutter to the minimum with multiple card slots and pockets for cash. If you’re looking for a functional, machine-washable, and eco-friendly wallet, look no further.
- This wallet is made with approximately 58 grams of ocean-bound marine plastic.
- Knit with a combination of thread made from marine plastic and Rothy’s signature thread, which is spun from single-use plastic bottles
- Owns and operates its own factory, in order to set best-in-class environmental and social standards
- 100% machine washable
Jewelry from Bloedstone
If you’re looking to invest in a gift that could be enjoyed and cherished for generations to come, jewelry (especially jewelry made from companies that prioritize labor and environmental practices) is a thoughtful item to gift someone you love.
Bloedstone is a small business based in Los Angeles, California. It’s focused on creating high-quality heirloom rings out of material that already exists. It offers mindfully designed and crafted signets and engagement rings for the jewelry lover in your life.
- 1% for the Planet member
- Each piece is designed and made in Los Angeles, CA, by master craftsmen
- Products are made using recycled metal and responsibly-sourced stones
Lo and Sons Weekender Bag
Perhaps you’re looking for a gift for someone who loves to travel, but you don’t have it in your budget to purchase eco-friendly luggage quite yet. That’s where the very handy weekender bag comes in.
Lo and Sons’ Weekender Bag is a great gift for those who love to take short weekend vacations, extended trips, and even visits to the gym!
Extremely versatile and durable, it includes a button compartment for shoes or dirty clothes, multiple zippers and pockets for our organized-obsessed friends, and a suitcase handle sleeve for those who intend on using it to travel.
- Made of recycled polyester or organic and recycled cotton material (depending on the style chosen)
- Sustainably packaged and shipped
Bicycle from Marin Bikes
Marin Bikes manufactures critically-acclaimed bikes and components for mountain, trail, and transit cyclists. What sets them apart is its advocacy efforts for organizations that create and maintain mountain trails and bike lanes and help make streets more welcoming to people on two wheels.
- Studies conducted by the University of Montana and the University of California, Los Angeles show that biking is not only a great way to improve physical and mental health, but it's also good for the health of the planet
- Marin Bikes launched its Green Bear Initiative to ensure that packaging used to ship new bikes to dealers is thoughtfully disposed of. It also asks dealers to commit to using eco-friendly bike cleaners and lubricants, as well as renewable energy, if available from local utility providers
- Partner with Call2Recycle and PeopleForBikes, to provide e-bike battery recycling options
- Factories have been independently verified and vetted by third parties, and are considered to be a safe workplace that pays competitive local wages and upholds human and labor rights